The Red Tower, August 2021 -
The August 2001 issue of the Red Tower Journal is now available
for viewing and download from the
The Red Tower Journals
(updated 02 Aug 2021)
Clan Gathering 2022 -
POSTPONED to 2024 due to COVID
To All Members,
The board of directors met Sunday afternoon (9/19/21) to discuss the current issues
around the covid restrictions. The restrictions the United States Government, the
Scottish Government, and the airlines are placing on people who want to travel to
and from Scotland makes it very difficult to plan for any big event. Some of the
details of the restrictions are as follows:
- The Airlines are requiring all passengers to be vaccinated to travel.
- Scotland is requiring all visitors be vaccinated with a two dose vaccine.
The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is not recognized.
- Scotland is requiring a negative PCR test no more than three days from the
day of travel. If you arrive at the airport and Customs determines your
test is too old or you test positive there at the airport they will deny entry.
- Masks will be required for group events over 20 people.
- If you get a breakthrough case in Scotland, then you will be required to
quarantine for at least 10 days at your expense in the hotel.
- The United States is requiring a negative PCR test within three days before
traveling back to the U.S.
- The United States has also classified the UK as a level 4, Do Not Travel,
due to the virus.
I do not know the specific rules for Canada or Australia, but I have been told by
a member in Australia he had to cancel because he might not be able to get himself
or his family back in the country.
Due to the ongoing evolution of this pandemic and the resulting restrictions
governments are having to impose to keep people safe, the board of directors
has decided to postpone the Scotland Gathering until 2024. Further information
will be coming out in future e-mails and The Red Tower regarding the 2022
gathering and election of officers.
Clan Galbraith President
(updated 21 Sep 2021)
New Members of Clan Galbraith Society -
- Tim Chance from Glens Falls, NY, US (10/4/21)
- Dale Dittrich from Canyon Lake, Texas, US (4/26/21)
- Cynthia Douglas from Powell, Tenessee, US (5/10/21)
- David Edwards from Cheyenne, Wyoming, US (10/4/21)
- Sheena Fisher from Lake Stevens, Washington, US (9/28/21)
- Angie Galbraith from Spring City, Utah, US (4/15/21)
- Daniel Galbraith from Tower City, Pennsylvania, US (10/1/21)
- Ernest Galbraith from Crossville, Tenessee, US (6/17/21)
- George & Judy Galbraith from Nerang Gold Coast, Queensland, Austrailia (9/27/21)
- Jesse Grant Galbraith from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada (9/28/21)
- Jo Anne Galbraith from Port Orchard, Washington, US (5/2/21)
- Jennifer Galbraith from Goose Creek, South Carolina, US (4/7/21)
- Terrie Galbraith from Oakville, Ontario, Canada (5/27/21)
- Stuart Johnson from Guilderton, Western Austrailia, Austrailia (7/31/21)
- Susan Lang from Statesville, North Carolina, US (7/14/21)
- Jane Lomax from West Jefferson, North Carolina, US (8/15/21)
- Thomas Lee Payne from Owensboro, Kentucky, US (4/16/21)
- Christine Procopis from Clontarf, Queensland, Australia (9/30/21)
- Kristen Marie Kurtz Robiglio from Mason, Ohio, US (9/24/21)
- Sarah Rosen from Glencoe, Illinois, USA (8/13/21)
- Tina Shlep from Easley, South Carolina, US (7/21/21)
- Ruth Wagner from Brighton, Michigan, US (4/28/21)
- Laci Wallin from Woodbridge, VA, US (9/27/21)
- James Galbraith Willson from Diani Beach, Kenya (9/20/21)
(updated 04 Oct 2021)
Returning Members of Clan Galbraith Society -
- Jane Cowell (#1503) from Erie, Pennsylvania, US (re-joined 3/10/21)
- Debi Galbraith (#609) from Payson, Arizona, US (re-joined 6/12/21)
- George Galbraith (#1125) from Pinetown, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa (re-joined 8/11/21)
- Peggy Marshall (#1234) from Chadron, Nebraska, USA (re-joined 6/16/21)
- Carolyn Owen (#1375) from Seattle, Washington, USA (re-joined 8/16/21)
- Damon Thomas (#1036) from Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA (re-joined 9/16/21)
(updated 16 Sep 2021)
We are sad to report the passing of longtime fellow Clan Galbraith member
George Charles Zeller (member #889). His obituary, as reported in The Salem News,
George Charles Zeller, 71, passed away on March 20, 2021. Born in Salem, Ohio
to Ward and Ruth Zeller (predeceased), George was a long time Cleveland resident.
He graduated from Salem High School in 1967 and still holds the record in the
high hurdles. He graduated from Wittenberg University with a degree in Sociology
and was the high hurdles champion in the Ohio Conference in 1971. He received a
Masters degree from Ohio State University and later taught at Ashland College
and Mansfield Reformatory.
George went on to a highly successful career as an Economic Research Analyst
with the Council for Economic Opportunities in Greater Cleveland and later
as a private economist and was regularly quoted by local and national media
on employment and economic trends facing Ohio and the country. George also
served on the Cleveland Rapid Transit Authority Citizens Board.
George was also greatly involved in the short wave community including writing
columns in national magazines, speaking at national conventions, and being
elected to the Pirate Radio Hall of Fame in 2011. George was the family
genealogist and visited Switzerland numerous times to research ancestors.
George was a diehard Cleveland sports fan.
He attended Indians spring training in Arizona with his brother Bob for years.
George is survived by his sister Valerie Zeller (Peter) and brother Robert Zeller
This is an interesting and great example of why we are interested in DNA. Some
theorists have surmised that Galbraith may be a descriptive surname of people
who lived in the ancient kingdom of Strathclyde and spoke Cumbric, a now extinct
language close to early Welsh and spoken by early Britons, and not just one family.
DNA Testing Dispels a Genealogical Myth